CONTINUED PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENTGUIDANCE NOTES
Professionals in most industries are required to take part in continuing professional development (CPD) and we as Reiki practitioners should be no exception to this. CPD is part of our self-development and allows us to maintain and build upon our skills and knowledge.
SOME EXAMPLES OF CPD
- Studying on courses including those leading to a qualification
- Studying on courses not directly related to a treatment or your therapy ie business, accounts, IT, self help
- Attending a seminar, workshop or conference organised by a professional association, or others.
- Presenting at a seminar, lecture, conference or workshop (provided this is not what you do as your main job)
- Distance learning
- Research into therapy, treatment or methodology (either through management or private research)
- Authoring, including work to prepare presentations, lectures or courses (not as part of your usual job)
- Attendance at Treatment Exchanges/Shares
- Research done for Treatment Exchanges/Shares by person running share
- Private reading ie books, journals, magazines, reports etc which provide learning
- Work done on behalf of a professional organisation and assisting with its development including attending meetings, writing articles, involvement in events, representing your discipline in some way.
- Writing articles
- Receiving supervision or mentoring which helps with learning and development
- Certified First Aid training
- Health & Safety training relevant to professional practice
- Marketing Training relevant to your practice
- Voluntary work relevant to the therapy
- Peer supervision – learning from other practitioners re best practice
- Being an examiner, tutor or assessor where this is developmental and provides learning opportunities
- Developing training materials where this is occasional and developmental and not something you do on a regular basis as a tutor.
- Client case studies where learning has taken place.
- Organising events, meetings, conferences related to your discipline
- Training to enhance professional and ethical practice ie maintaining professional boundaries, confidentiality etc.
Please note that giving therapy treatments to your clients is not CPD, nor is Reiki 1 or 2 training.
Anything is acceptable provided you can justify why you do it and can explain how it enhances your professionalism.
Before undertaking CPD in any form you should set yourself learning objectives, ie what is your purpose in undertaking this CPD and what do you want to get out of it? CPD must be accompanied by reflection to be effective, ie for every activity you undertake you must be able to state how it has benefited you as a professional Reiki Practitioner.
You should keep a record of your CPD on this CPD Summary Sheet, which you may be asked to supply to prove the number of CPD hours you have done as part of our annual CPD audit. You should keep any documents that are part of that activity (attendance certificates, notes, evaluations etc), preferably in a file which should be made available to the UK Reiki Federation for audit should they request it.