What Is a Core Curriculum
A core curriculum provides guidelines and a framework on which to develop Reiki courses, and should always be read alongside the National Occupational Standards (NOS). The following information is given as a help to Reiki master teachers who wish to be teaching to the recommended standards.
Core Curriculum for Reiki
A core curriculum for Reiki has been developed by the Reiki Council, in consultation with the UK Reiki Federation and other professional organisations. This was updated in August 2017. The Reiki Council has produced a handbook which includes a copy of the core curriculum. A summary of the main points is given below:
‘Professional practice’ is not a specific level or style of Reiki, but is based upon:
- First level/degree as a minimum
- Face to face personal attunement with a Reiki master teacher
- Experience and practice of giving Reiki
- Meeting the minimum standards specified in the National Occupational Standards (NOS)
- Ongoing personal practice with a recommended minimum of 100 hours of Reiki being received (self-treatment or from others).
- A lineage that goes back to Mikao Usui
Remember the National Occupational Standards (NOS) and the core curriculum do not refer to any one level or style of Reiki. It is a requirement that a minimum standard of training is received by the Reiki practitioner, although many Reiki master teachers will teach above that standard.
The National Occupational Standards CNH1 CNH2 CNH12 can be found in the following Core Curriculum document
The context in which training is given or undertaken is also specified:
- Reiki students should personally give 75 full treatments, which should be recorded. Five of these Reiki treatments should be supervised by a competent Reiki master teacher or Reiki practitioner
- Training period of not less than nine months
- Recommended that there are a minimum total of 240 hours, of which 65 should be “in person”, which includes Reiki level 1 training in accordance with the style of Reiki being taught
- The student should receive 100 hours of treatments(through self-treatment/received treatment)